[Sidefx-houdini-list] Compounding in Houdini?

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Tue Oct 27 14:28:10 EDT 2015

Yep, if you want propagation, then HDAs are the way to go.

It's worth mentioning a lesser known alternative though, as nine times
out of ten I prefer to use Gallery presets.

Generally I don't need to have instances update, I just want a clean and
easy way to reuse work I've done before without the hassle of having to
manage versions, etc. It's analogous to a code snippet copy/paste type
of workflow, but I find that better suits an approach of rapid
prototyping. If something's useful, I drop it as a preset into a
Gallery. It's easy to pull back out, tweak and update, and if it becomes
mature enough as a tool, then I can easily convert it to an HDA later.

Galleries have the bonus of not polluting your Tab menu while being
easily accessible as presets from the gear menu. You can make a Gallery
preset out of any node, and it will also store any nodes contained
within it.

Not saying HDAs are bad, just that I tend to only use them when I need
that robustness of propagation that you mentioned.

Cheers,
Andy