[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini indie render solution

Gerbrand Nel g at cannonballbunny.com
Mon Oct 26 03:11:35 EDT 2015

Hi guys.
I have been doing most of my jobs in houdini since the start of 2015,
and I'm loving the work flow.
Most things just work, and although I have to re-learn allot of skills,
I feel like this is an upgrade to my skill set.
There is one huge problem though.
Everything needs to get rendered at the end of the day.
Mantra is beautiful, and amazingly powerful, and can get the job done,
but its kinda slow.
Well slow in my incapable hands.
I've done a few tutorials on rendering, but no matter how much I tweak,
a render still takes around 15 to 20 min per frame.
As far as cpu renders go, this is not so bad, but I'm a freelancer, and
most of the other freelancers around me have switched to redshift.
I've done a few comparisons, and most of the times redshift will give
you the same results in 1/5 of the time.
Rendering normal geometry via alembic in soft or maya is not the end of
the world, but how would I render fur or volumes?
I'm using houdini indie, so 3rd party renders in houdini are out of the
question for me.
Do you guys know of a way to get fur or volumes from houdini into
maya/softimage?
I would like to give Blender/Cycles a go, but I have never used blender
for anything other than camera tracking.
Cycles seems like it is up for the task, but without alembic, how would
this work?
Any input on this matter would rock!!
Thanks guys
Gerbrand