[Sidefx-houdini-list] How to create a parameter on a node using python SOP

Dan Wills gdanzo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 01:20:50 EST 2015

Hi Justin,

In short, and assuming you want to do it with python: You need to:
* Get the parmTemplateGroup of the node (this is a method of the hou.Node
class).
* Add the parameter that you want to add to the parmTemplateGroup (using
ptg.append(), ptg.insertBefore() or ptg.insertAfter())
* Then set the node with the modified parmTemplateGroup
(hou.Node.setParmTemplateGroup()).

You can see some examples of what this looks like by looking at the script
that node.asCode() returns, which can be particularly useful if you add a
spare parm (via 'Edit Parameter Interface') of the same type that you wish
to add (sounds like a vector3 from what you're saying) and then do
node.asCode() to see how to construct a parmTemplate of that type.

Hope that helps :D
Dan