[Sidefx-houdini-list] Exporting Character Animations to UE4

Andrew Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 14:50:20 EST 2015

The FBX importing in UE4 was apparently written by Autodesk, and is heavily
biased towards files exported from Max specifically - but also Maya. Take
smoothing groups for example. Any import from Houdini will have a vertex
count three times its triangle count without certain modifications to the
FBX input code (ComputeEdgeSmoothingFromNormals(Mesh)).

I can understand that Houdini engine makes FBX a less pressing system for
side effects to support in Unreal, but there are still many
pipelines/workflows that depend on it I'd guess. If you can't find settings
that work, or modify the source, perhaps ask SESI to take a look...

Cheers