[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini modeling?

craigleehoffman at aol.com craigleehoffman at aol.com
Wed May 13 11:29:54 EDT 2015

Any chance you could give us a little video example of what you would like to do using Softimage or your modeler of choice - or point us to an existing example?  (Like, I am not sure what you mean by “multiple sticky keys acting simultaneously”, etc.)

You can model interactively in the Houdini Viewport without having to worry about SOPs, commands, attribWrangle for most standard modeling things.  I know most tutorials never seem to show that (always diving into SOPs and using expressions, etc.) but it is set up to work that way- just maximize the viewport, use shelf tools (or drop tools down with the Tab) and enter modeling parameters at the top of the Viewport for the active modeling operation (which gets added to the SOP network in SOP-land but is hidden from view if you want).

If I knew what you wanted to do, I could try to do a quick video tutorial for interactive modeling works in Houdini…  Plus it would help me learn where it breaks down.  I have always intended to do some Video Tutorials of modeling and UV’ing for Artists without all the back and forth to SOP-land and expression stuff that makes most Artists go glassy eyed and turn away from even considering Houdini.

Cheers,

-Craig

Sent from Windows Mail