[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini modeling?

Neil Dickson ndickson at sidefx.com
Mon May 11 08:54:24 EDT 2015

If you want to add normals, *please* use the Normal SOP.  It's what it's
there for; it produces more consistent normals, it's easier to put down,
it's way more discoverable for new users, and it's one less esoteric,
confusing thing to memorize, like using the Point SOP or Vertex SOP for
a dozen miscellaneous, unrelated things.  Facet and Divide are confusing
enough, and those at least contain semi-related operations.

Also, if you want something as specific as setting the x component of
the P attribute to 10, it doesn't seem like a giant leap to say @P.x =
10;  Whether it's good or bad, lots of people no longer use Attribute
Create unless they have to, because it's so much easier to write @foo =
5; to indicate that you want to set attribute foo to 5, than it is to
wade through a field of parameters to figure out how to set foo to 5.
It's also not some special case that only works for P; it works for
anything, so you don't need to memorize different workflows for
different attributes or different attribute classes like you would need
to with the Point, Vertex, or Primitive SOPs.

P.S. If anyone is actually recommending using @N = @N; for computing
normals, I completely agree that's madness.

Cheers,
Neil