[Sidefx-houdini-list] houdini modeling?

craigleehoffman at aol.com craigleehoffman at aol.com
Fri May 8 11:57:20 EDT 2015

There are multiple ways to do things in Houdini.  I tend to go “old school” since I am always trying to get artists comfortable with Houdini rather than forcing them to learn expressions or code/script that are easily done with standard Houdini functionality.

Editorial:  I like the fact that AttribWrangle exists, but I can’t say I like that I am seeing it used so much in tutorials to replace standard Houdini functionality because I think it reminds me too much of relying on Mel for simple things and it makes a lot of artists think that “Houdini is only for coders”, etc. and turn away from Houdini - which is something Side Effects has worked hard to get away from.

   - how do i translate a few points to world X = 10? ( the edit node only
   gives me local offsets?)

Simple interactive method:  In point selection mode in viewport, grab points and move them where you want.  You could snap to grids while moving them in X to ensure that X=10 or something…

Old school Houdini SOP method:  In point selection mode in viewport, grab points and drop down a Point SOP.  In point SOP remove expression for X position ($TX) and replace it with 10.  You are basically just overriding the X position for all the points you selected.

More procedural old school SOP method:  In point selection mode in viewport, grab points and drop down a Group SOP.  Group the points and give it a name and feed this to a Point SOP with the Group name selected at the top.  In point SOP remove expression for X position ($TX) and replace it with 10.  This makes it a little easier to change the points in the Group as needed (you can reselect points in Node in Viewport if you want to change the points you are grouping, etc.) or use the Group of Points for a later purpose.

To be honest, I forgot how to do some of the pivot stuff and don’t have time to try something out, so I will leave that up to others…

But there is a lot of decent poly modeling in Houdini that can be done with PolyExtrude/Subdivide/etc. as well as some decent UV tools, but it isn’t going to replace Modo or some of the other really good modelers out there.  I tend to use Houdini to do those procedural type things that other modelers can’t easily do, but let the hardcore modelers make the high end models in their tool of choice.

Cheers,

Craig

Sent from Windows Mail