[Sidefx-houdini-list] SpliceHoudini

Guillaume Laforge guillaume.laforge.3d at gmail.com
Thu May 7 13:18:36 EDT 2015

Hi Pablo,

I definitely agree with you... from an Houdini centric pipeline point of
view.
But Houdini is not the only app used in many studio, same for Mantra, it is
not the only renderer.
HoudiniEngine got some big advantages (it gives you access to the great
Houdini toolbox) but consume an HoudiniEngine licence and its integration
is not always perfect (like Fabric stuff, it is a young boy).
Personally I don't see very good reasons to use Canvas inside Houdini if
you don't need to run the same procedures in other apps (I'm still dreaming
about a pure Houdini pipeline sometime ;).
But I can imagine a Canvas graph done in Modo or Maya (for some procedural
layout tools, some rigging solvers, procedural trees, etc...) that could
then be loaded inside Houdini or any renderer supporting Canvas graph.

I'm not working on this project like if it was the new way to work inside
Houdini. It is just an interesting exercise for me and I'm having fun so
far :).

Cheers,
Guillaume