[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini, sims & workstation specs

Alvaro Castaneda varomix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 12:05:14 EDT 2015

I'm also planning to build a system similar, taking into account simulation
I'm going to build it my self to save some cash, if you're not too worried
about that, might want to take a look at BOXX, they have great machines

what I want to get is
- dual xeon (8 cores each)
- 64 GB ram
- SSD drive for Linux
- few more drives for storage, about 8 - to 16 TB ( even more if you have
huge scenes)
- GeForce GTX 970 ( in some cases it does help using OpenCL for the
simulation, if the fluid is HUGE it won't fit in memory)

everything else is just the common stuff,
I like corsair PSUs
Would like to have a corsair water cooler like the one I have now for those
processor but I think there's no version for dual processors so I'll get 2
good fan based ones, still need to figure that.

Hope that helps