[Sidefx-houdini-list] Command-line render

Edward Lam edward at sidefx.com
Thu Mar 26 09:07:28 EDT 2015

For future reference, running "hbatch -h" will give the help for its
command line options. And running "help render" inside hbatch will give
the help for the render command. Thus, the answer using hbatch is:

     hbatch -c "render /out/myROP" myfile.hip

Cheers,
-Edward

On 26/03/2015 8:09 AM, Sam Swift-Glasman wrote:
> glad to hear it!
>
> let me know if you have any other questions
>
> best
> Sam
>
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Aviv Bar Ami <avivba at snowball.co.il>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sam,
>> That is exactly what I needed to get it up and running,
>> many thanks for taking the time!
>>
>> cheers,
>> Aviv
>>
>> On 26/03/2015 12:51, Sam Swift-Glasman wrote:
>>
>>> personally i use hython (houdini's interactive python shell) it is much
>>> more powerful and easier to use due it's object oriented nature
>>>
>>> to run use the following
>>>

>>> *hython -v "myscript.py"*
>>>

>>> it involves a bit of work learning the hou module but python is much
>>> easier
>>> to deal with especially if your tasks involve munging strings for changing
>>> paths ect
>>> hscript is archaic and painful i.m.h.o ;)
>>>
>>> it is all well documented but here are a few functions to get you started:
>>>
>>> hou.hipFile.load("pathtomyhipfile")  # open a hipfile
>>> myrop = hou.node("/out/myrop") # assign your rop object to a variable
>>> myrop.parm("trange").set( 1 ) # set rop to render a frame range
>>> myrop.parmTuple("f").set ( (1,200,1) ) # sets frame ranges -parm tuples
>>> are
>>> vector values
>>> myrop.parm("soho_outputmode").set( 0 ) # turns off ifd creation
>>> myrop.parm("vm_picture").set( """pathtomyrender.$F4.exr""" ) # set render
>>> path
>>> myrop.render() # render the rop
>>>
>>> the above script will render form houdini though this isn't the
>>> recommended
>>> approach, it is often better to create render archives (ifd files) then
>>> use
>>> mantra. This is because the above will use a houdini license whereas once
>>> your archives are created you can use mantra which comes with 100 license
>>> by standard
>>>
>>> hou.hipFile.load("pathtomyhipfile") # open a hipfile
>>> myrop = hou.node("/out/myrop") # assign your rop object to a variable
>>> myrop.parm("soho_outputmode").set( 1 ) # turn on ifd creation
>>> myrop.parm("soho_diskfile").set( """pathtomyrender.$F4.ifd"""  ) # sets
>>> ifd
>>> path
>>> myrop.parm("vm_picture").set( """pathtomyrender.$F4.exr""" ) # stes render
>>> path