[Sidefx-houdini-list] Command-line render

Sam Swift-Glasman glassman3d at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 06:51:12 EDT 2015

personally i use hython (houdini's interactive python shell) it is much
more powerful and easier to use due it's object oriented nature

to run use the following

*hython -v "myscript.py"*

it involves a bit of work learning the hou module but python is much easier
to deal with especially if your tasks involve munging strings for changing
paths ect
hscript is archaic and painful i.m.h.o ;)

it is all well documented but here are a few functions to get you started:

hou.hipFile.load("pathtomyhipfile")  # open a hipfile
myrop = hou.node("/out/myrop") # assign your rop object to a variable
myrop.parm("trange").set( 1 ) # set rop to render a frame range
myrop.parmTuple("f").set ( (1,200,1) ) # sets frame ranges -parm tuples are
vector values
myrop.parm("soho_outputmode").set( 0 ) # turns off ifd creation
myrop.parm("vm_picture").set( """pathtomyrender.$F4.exr""" ) # set render
path
myrop.render() # render the rop

the above script will render form houdini though this isn't the recommended
approach, it is often better to create render archives (ifd files) then use
mantra. This is because the above will use a houdini license whereas once
your archives are created you can use mantra which comes with 100 license
by standard

hou.hipFile.load("pathtomyhipfile") # open a hipfile
myrop = hou.node("/out/myrop") # assign your rop object to a variable
myrop.parm("soho_outputmode").set( 1 ) # turn on ifd creation
myrop.parm("soho_diskfile").set( """pathtomyrender.$F4.ifd"""  ) # sets ifd
path
myrop.parm("vm_picture").set( """pathtomyrender.$F4.exr""" ) # stes render
path
myrop.render() # render the rop

then use mantra from the command line to render

mantra -f ""pathtoifdfile"""

hope that helps
cheers

Sam Swift-Glasman