[Sidefx-houdini-list] simple soap bubble shader

Gerbrand Nel g at cannonballbunny.com
Mon Mar 23 01:06:53 EDT 2015

Hey guys. I've finished my first Houdini job thanks to all your help,
and I'm keen to do the next one.

It is a shot inside a fizzy drink, where I have to make bubbles do
things... yes.. my life has lead up to this point!!

I've created the whole thing in softimage, and alembiced it into houdini
last night, just to see if I can match the look.
The first thing I tried was to apply the glass material pre-set to my
bubbles, with a environment light and a HDRI.
This looks kinda cool, but the render time is through the roof.
I then created a new material with the surface model vop pre-set in
there, but as soon as I make it refract, the render time goes up again.
Where can I start digging for info on setting up a simple reflect,
refract shader?
I figured out how to create a ramp based on facing ratios, but I cant
find things like "index of refraction"
At the moment the scene renders fast as hell in mental ray back in
softimage, but I would like to force myself into houdini a bit more.
Thanks for reading