[Sidefx-houdini-list] nurbs

herman lee herman02 at netvigator.com
Fri Mar 20 08:35:22 EDT 2015

I guess he meant stop teaching nerds.

-----Original Message-----
From: sidefx-houdini-list-bounces at sidefx.com [mailto:sidefx-houdini-list-bounces at sidefx.com] On Behalf Of Phil Spicer
Sent: Friday, 20 March, 2015 6:05 PM
To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] nurbs

Hi Jim,

Who is telling you to stop teaching NURBS? This negates the Merge SOP which easily mixes together different geometry types. I continually advocate to students to work smarter rather than harder. Having an understanding of when they can/should get away with using Primitives, NURBS, Polygons, SubDivs makes that possible for them.

The purported death of something or other seems to be a regular cyclic event with our technology. The last one I remember was the supposed death of UVs due to arrival of PTEX. What seems to happen instead is that we just find new ways of using older techniques, or simply the new technique gets listed alongside the old one. For example the arrival of PBR has not led to the demise of the other render engines available with Mantra. As highlighted by Michael Scarpa on this thread, we instinctively prefer to have the widest spectrum of tools and options possible so we can get the job done in the most efficient way.

Whoever is telling you to stop teaching NURBS clearly does not understand this technology or the process behind the work we do.

Kind regards,

Phil.

Philip Spicer
Programme Leader - MA Digital Effects
National Centre for Computer Animation
Bournemouth University - UK

http://www.youtube.com/user/NCCADigitalFX

> On 20 Mar 2015, at 09:44, Olivier Jeannel <facialdeluxe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Stop teatching nurbs and subds, ok, and they are replaced by what ?
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 9:10 AM, Marten Blumen <martyb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The death of Nurbs is premature; Michael of Moi3d has kept developing
>> the tech into quite a powerful toolset.
>>
>> Moment of Inspiration:
>> http://moi3d.com
>>
>> On 20 March 2015 at 17:31, François Duchesneau <sidefx at trinix.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> I must admit I don't use nurbs surfaces as much as I did before but
>>> I still use nurbs curves a lot, even though I often convert it to
>>> polygon lines at some point in the branch. That's the beauty of
>>> Houdini to
>> convert
>>> from one format to the other to get the most of it all.
>>>
>>> I would find it weak that someone has never heard about nurbs. Even
>>> if they don't need to be able to model a face out of nurbs patches,
>>> at least they should be able to understand the concept.
>>>
>>> Francois

BU is a Disability Two Ticks Employer and has signed up to the Mindful Employer charter. Information about the accessibility of University buildings can be found on the BU DisabledGo webpages This email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email, which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Bournemouth University or its subsidiary companies. Nor can any contract be formed on behalf of the University or its subsidiary companies via email.