[Sidefx-houdini-list] nurbs

Jeff Wagner jeff at sidefx.com
Thu Mar 19 18:13:35 EDT 2015

Agree totally with Jordi.

NURBs curves and surfaces are super-critical in some procedural modeling
tasks. Begs the question of why drop sub'd's as well, especially since
PIXAR released OpenSubD's to the world. I guess that throws Modo,
Lightwave and other subd type modelers under the bus.

Most curve based effects use splines which inevitably are NURBs curves.
Trailing points to build NURBs curves are a staple in motion graphics
work amongst other things.
NURBs curve backbones for sweep/loft operations.
Our latest hair groom tools generate NURBs curves along with many other
tools.
Mantra in H14 can now directly render NURBs again for a reason.
Many paths that are generated are best done as NURBs patches. So easy to
dice, slice and texture.
Quickly add procedural textures on NURBs patches and then refine to
polys later on if need be.

and on and on.

Wonder if the same wisdom will tell you to not use SDF Volumes for
surface modeling for terrains and props either...

-jeff