[Sidefx-houdini-list] hq render help

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Mon Mar 16 08:35:17 EDT 2015

Hi,

I'm not familiar with Indie but on SideFx website they say it uses its
own file format for saving scenes and assets. The error message you get
sounds like it cannot generate IFDs.

In case you don't know, IFD is a file format that Mantra, the Houdini
render engine understands. The number of render licenses is unlimited
but you still need a license to generate those IFDs that contains the
geo, camera, lights, render settings, basically everything in your scene.

What I suggest is to try if can save an IFD from a Mantra node inside
Houdini directly. To do this you have to activate the checkbox under the
Driver tab, if I remember well, next to the file path box. My bet is
that you'll be able to save it but it's gonna have its own format,
something like .ifdnc. If that's the case this means hQueue might need
some tweaking to tell it to generate an .ifdnc instead of an .ifd.

Keep in mind that even if you had a full version of Houdini you still
need one hbatch license per computer that generates the ifd. However
there are ways to organize your workflow so that in the end the IFD
generation if so fast that you can do it sequentially on your
workstation and then submit this bunch of IFDs (one file per frame) to
hQueue and it render it on your many computers on the farm with the free
Mantra licenses.

Francois