[Sidefx-houdini-list] rendering instances

Jordan Halsey jordanhalsey at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 13:51:13 EDT 2015

Look into packed primitives, if they are just boxes, you really don't even
need to instance. The copy sop even has a pack option it it. Depending on
what you need to do, you might need to look into a more robust packing
procedure but you would have to watch some tutorials.
https://vimeo.com/102531317 - In this video he over complicates a few
things, read the comments as they will clarify some things on workflow,
especially the second part that I did not link to.

This will drastically reduce your memory over head, and I do mean drastic.

Often I write out alembics as they play well in both Houdini and Maya, and
if you learn how to use the name attribute correctly and write out alembics
with partition set to attribute and use name as the attribute ( I describe
this procedure in the second video's comments) then you will get all your
grouping correctly translated into Maya under one node, just turn on
Display Shapes in the Outliner. I would be surprised if you hit a memory
threshold with 200,000 boxes, i did a quick test with 50 million this way
on an i7 I mac wih 32 gigs of ram and it rendered in about 5 minutes. I
also rendered a forrest, same tree so packing reduces everything to that
one tree and rendered 5 billion poly's but this was on a much beefier
machine.

Jordan

*Jordan Halsey*
*maya | houdini | nuke | ae*