[Sidefx-houdini-list] Persistent storage on Amazon Cloud

Martin Winkler martin.winkler at grey-matter.de
Fri Jun 26 10:48:47 EDT 2015

I don't know about amazon, but on other typical cloud setups you can
have a VPN connection to your network (or a designated network you set
for this, for security reasons), so the nodes can access your license
server. This has some licensing implications though.
These days there are local and global access licenses. According to
the license agreement, computers that perform "non-interactive" tasks
don't need to be on the premises but can be anywhere in the world,
even with just local access licenses.
It is however stated that "the Software may only be Used on the Client
Computers accessing the License Server." That may or may not imply,
that using a rented cloud other than the official Hqueue-cloud-thing
is entirely forbidden. You should check that with your account
manager, to be 100% sure you're not crossing into illegal terrain.

I have not done this (yet) with houdini, so I don't know if it's
legal.. but with other softwares that require access to a local
license server. And with those the VPN access worked.