[Sidefx-houdini-list] silly Attrib wrangle question

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Fri Apr 17 08:21:34 EDT 2015

Even though I used to be a programmer before using Houdini, I still
prefer using vop most of the time.

Regarding pc loop I use an inline vop like I did before the wrangle node
existed.

It think the biggest advantage I find is you see right away the
parameter list on nodes in vop but also I can understand right away
what's going on when I look at the network.

Francois

On 04/17/2015 07:34 AM, Ciaran Moloney wrote:
> I agree. For small, simple tasks a wrangle SOP is so much quicker and
> cleaner to work with.
> In a few lines of code, you can replace a messier and branchier VOP network.
> e.g. I was never at all comfortable with horribly messy of mass of VOPs
> needed for a pcopen and pciterate, when doing a point lookup.
> With a wrangle SOP it's a breeze.
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Nikita Musatov <not.a.whale at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi! I prefer Wrangler node, bcs I don't like node organization function
>> like for, if (without else), work with pointcloud, delete or create point,
>> prim and etc. If this stuff don't need I use VOP context. I think wrangler
>> more logical for me and clenear then VOP.
>>
>> пт, 17 апр. 2015 г. в 12:54, Gerbrand Nel <g at cannonballbunny.com>:
>>
>>> Hey guys
>>> I'm going through tutorials, and the attribute wrangle pops up every
>>> once in a while.
>>> I personally don't like it. It feels like Maya expressions and scripts
>>> to me.
>>> I usually replace the wrangles, with atrib vops.
>>> In some of the video tuts the ress is so bad that I cant read the code
>>> from the video.
>>> This leads to loads of swearwords.
>>> I come from softimage, so the vops makes more sense to me than the code
>>> based wrangle sops.
>>> My question is: what would the downside to this be?
>>> Are the wrangle sops more efficient or powerful, or is it down to
>>> preference?
>>> Thanks
>>> Gerbrand