[Sidefx-houdini-list] silly Attrib wrangle question

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Fri Apr 17 08:21:04 EDT 2015

Yep, as soon as you start doing any sort of looping or conditional with
VOP nodes, things go pear shaped quite quickly. I think it's a shame
that instead the GUI issues with VOPs getting fixed, we're seeing a bit
of a divergence happening with lots of people finding the Wrangle nodes
more convenient (myself included).

I'm really starting to feel like there needs to be a big spring clean to
get rid of older, less recommended workflows. For example, have you ever
tried spending all day jumping between Wrangle nodes, VOP Snippets, and
VOP Inlines? It's quite confusing with the differences of to how to
specify inputs and outputs, declare variables, avoid accidentally
binding or creating attributes. I'm sure I need to spend more time
playing with them all, but still ;)

On 17/04/2015 12:34, Ciaran Moloney wrote:
> I agree. For small, simple tasks a wrangle SOP is so much quicker and
> cleaner to work with.
> In a few lines of code, you can replace a messier and branchier VOP network.
> e.g. I was never at all comfortable with horribly messy of mass of VOPs
> needed for a pcopen and pciterate, when doing a point lookup.
> With a wrangle SOP it's a breeze.
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Nikita Musatov <not.a.whale at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi! I prefer Wrangler node, bcs I don't like node organization function
>> like for, if (without else), work with pointcloud, delete or create point,
>> prim and etc. If this stuff don't need I use VOP context. I think wrangler
>> more logical for me and clenear then VOP.
>>
>> пт, 17 апр. 2015 г. в 12:54, Gerbrand Nel <g at cannonballbunny.com>:
>>
>>> Hey guys
>>> I'm going through tutorials, and the attribute wrangle pops up every
>>> once in a while.
>>> I personally don't like it. It feels like Maya expressions and scripts
>>> to me.
>>> I usually replace the wrangles, with atrib vops.
>>> In some of the video tuts the ress is so bad that I cant read the code
>>> from the video.
>>> This leads to loads of swearwords.
>>> I come from softimage, so the vops makes more sense to me than the code
>>> based wrangle sops.
>>> My question is: what would the downside to this be?
>>> Are the wrangle sops more efficient or powerful, or is it down to
>>> preference?
>>> Thanks
>>> Gerbrand