[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini engine maya farm licensing

dave brown dayvbrown at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 18:54:03 EDT 2014

Thanks all for your answers,

Jordan this is a slightly unusual case, but alembic is indeed our usual
workflow to maya when we absolutely have to go there for some reason.

In this case what's causing the problem is a fluid surface, if we were
keeping it for mantra then no problem, sequence of bgeos\alembic\whatever
but maya's alembic reader won't read a sequence of .abc files so we have to
run another process after farm surfacing to wrap it in a single GIGANTIC
alembic file. Basically i'm concerned about pulling that single file over
the network at render time.

There are other ways around it but I thought i'd try engine, also was
curious to see how it actually worked in Maya, high tech sorcery from what
I can tell.

Cheers,

Dave.