[Sidefx-houdini-list] Layered shaders in shop

Olex P hoknamahn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 03:25:59 EDT 2014

Actually layering the _shaders_ can be done in VEX. There is a feature
called a "shader call" where one shader can call another shader or itself.
That means that any shader in surface context (not sure about others like
displacement) can call another shader (at the moment the callee and the
caller contexts should match). This leads to not so elegant but still sort
of solution i.e. some high level VOP nodes / VEX functions can be wrapped
into the shaders and then called from other shaders.
The only question will be a UI. You might need some scripting for that. But
it is doable for sure.