[Sidefx-houdini-list] Layered shaders in shop

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 05:19:26 EDT 2014

I am with Rob.
Make a compiled uber shader, it will work for most cases. Uses one copy and
do objects overrides as most as possible. This will save you a lot of
hassle.
It is good to have the base shader, where all lighting models are, in a
VOP, use this to make the compiled uber shader but also provide the VOP
option in case users needs to make more custom looks.
90% of the time you just need to use textures to modulate the BSDFs, there
is no point to use a completely open material as the base for the look dev.
Would be great to have some input from Mark to know exactly how Mantra
optimizes shaders, and if it mostly based on the code, or is based on
parameters vales as well.

My 2 cents

Un saludo
Best Regards