[Sidefx-houdini-list] Extreme beveling?

Larry Giunta larry at gcreativestudios.com
Thu Sep 11 13:42:53 EDT 2014

Yeah, since we do a fair amount of motion graphics I've hit this snag a lot over the years.

I kind of assumed that other packages can probably handle it more efficiently … since I also assumed that this is probably a low priority at SESI.

In any event, I have had some luck dropping a "facet" before the extrude and using "remove inline points".
This can sometimes help clean up those troublesome areas around sharp corners, etc.

However, sometimes I do need to go in by hand and delete points around tight spots.

Not ideal since you pretty much jump out of the procedural work flow at the point.
But It seems to be the only way in certain situations.

If you haven't done so already it's probably also worth taking a look at the extrude SOP in place of the polyExtrude>polyBevel method.
It can sometimes be beneficial to use that second input to be able to control the exact shape of your cross section.

Also, being able to play around with the "Thickness Offset" and "Thickness Scale" can help solve some problems as well.

Hope that helps a little.

Larry

--
Larry Giunta