[Sidefx-houdini-list] Extreme beveling?

craigleehoffman at aol.com craigleehoffman at aol.com
Thu Sep 11 12:12:12 EDT 2014

Anyone have a good solution for making large bevels on fairly complex edges?  The PolyBevel SOP works great on large faces like a box but just falls flat on its face with tons of bad overlapping artifacts when the beveling is larger than the distance between verts on the edges (especially at corners, etc.).

I am trying to create nice beveled 3D Text by PolyExtruding a Font SOP and then PolyBeveling an Edge Group from it that represents the edge between the front and sides of the 3D Text and it works great… UNTIL I try to increase the quality of the Font (more verts along the edge) and the verts get much closer to each other making the Beveled edges overlap themselves in really ugly ways.

My co-worker can do something like this with really high quality results in 3DS Max and I am frustrated that Houdini can’t handle this easily…  😊

Thanks,

-Craig

Sent from Windows Mail