[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mantra farm rendering to server killing network, ideas?

Matt Estela matt.estela at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 03:46:19 EDT 2014

Curious if anyone else has suffered this sort of thing;

We sent a Mantra job to the farm, relatively fast per-frame times, but deep
exr's with lots of layers meaning it came in at around 120mb per frame.
When this was rendered by lots of farm machines at once (like 200 or more),
this was enough to bring the filer to its knees, lots of fingers pointed,
sad sysadmins.

I know we've rendered stuff heavier than this before with PRman. Turns out
this problem had been identified and fixed a while ago, in that our Maya
PRman jobs automatically render to the local scratch disk locally per farm
machine, then copy the frame to the filer when done, keeping the network
happy.

Anyone implemented such a thing in Mantra? Or know of mystery Mantra
options to force it to keep its network write operations to a minimum?

-matt