[Sidefx-houdini-list] Migration to houdini - Overall cost to company

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 08:44:15 EDT 2014

Hi Brian,

In the last year we did several projects that were lighting + FX + mantra,
and the senior lookdev and lighting people were relatively new to Houdini
but experienced in other apps such as PRman, Realtime games and
proprietary. To me it's all about attitude. These guys were open and
interested, and not resisting (you know what I mean!) and were productive
within days.

Of course, it helped having myself local to them and several very senior
Houdini peeps in the same company (but remote) as well. I personally
haven't seen huge success rates when a company tries to take on Houdini
without at least one experienced zealot (joke) available. Obviously SESI
can be and is very helpful with this if the experienced person isn't
available.

I'd be scared to just "switch" whole-heartedly over, unless it's from a
Softimage shop or something where the overall emotional tone is ready to
embrace Houdini outright. Again depends a lot on "attitude" IMO. Houdini is
no harder to learn these days than anything else if the attitude of the
learners is in the right place.

Hope that's useful!

Cheers,

Peter B