[Sidefx-houdini-list] Migration to houdini - Overall cost to company

Sandy Sutherland sandy at sunrise.co.za
Tue Sep 2 04:01:34 EDT 2014

Hi Brian,

I just went through adopting it as both primary VFX AND LIGHTING tool
here at Sunrise in Cape Town,  I am not sure of the costs as you are
looking for as we did not go through that sort of costing and the
company was ramping up anyway.

We are doing a TV series for now and we did the first episode in Maya
while installing Houdini and getting the guys up to 'some' speed.  We
had only one lighter who had used Houdini before so it was a challenge
on that side, but the guys have completely risen to it and are doing
awesome stuff already.  It has been a pleasure designing the pipeline
around Houdini like this as it is a tool that so easily falls into place
in a pipeline, yes I have FINALLY seen the light.

The biggest issue, well probably the only real issue we have had is that
we underestimated Mantra's need for RAM so we had under-equipped on that
side, and have had to try and build up our render nodes as we went
along.  On this note, with my experience with Arnold, I am going to be
having a good look at HtoA.

To answer your last question, as you know South Africa is not
oversupplied with experienced Houdini Artists, in fact winning the
Lottery might be easier - we had the one lighter who had some
experience, otherwise the guys all came more or less from a Softimage
background and have really got on well.  Sidefx have been a huge help
with initial training and are continuously a big help!

My R0.02

Sandy

--
*Sandy Sutherland*
CG/Technical Supervisor

--

*Sunrise Productions  *|  *web. *www.sunrise.co.za  *  *tel.* +27 21 702
0817

Please note that all content in this email is strictly confidential and is
not to be distributed, disseminated or dispersed in any way. It is intended
for the recipient only. If you have received this email in error, please
contact us immediately and delete the original.