[Sidefx-houdini-list] Ocean surface with flip sim

Miles Green miles.green at al.com.au
Mon Jun 2 21:22:58 EDT 2014

Hi François,
  I did a bit of research on this recently, I came to the conclusion
that most people dont use the ocean FLIP tank for boat interaction use
the following technique:

1) the FLIP simulations of the boat is done in a flat FLIP tank
2) They then post deform the simulation (mesh or points) with the same
ocean evaluate node
3) some go further and use the FLIP velocity (acceleration) of the FLIP
as a weighting factor for how much deformation occurs
4) blending a flat ocean geo and flat FLIP is trivial as the boundaries
always match when defomed.

 From what I could see the reasons for using a flat tank are:
  - Its much faster to sim a flat tank (no pumping in ocean evaluate
velocities)
  - The ocean FLIP tank wave velocities will destroy your nice FLIP
splashes and blur your collisions

using this method does mean you wont get large crashing against the side
of a object/boat, but those can probably be faked if needed

You may want to ask these guys further about the nice examples they have:

http://vimeo.com/67926632

http://vimeo.com/74699403 http://vimeo.com/64140693

http://vimeo.com/88909057 http://vimeo.com/90313464

http://vimeo.com/91739960