[Sidefx-houdini-list] Ocean surface with flip sim

robert east east.robert at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 05:58:50 EDT 2014

Hi Francois,

Ian Farnsworth had some great answers to your problem. Have a poke around
his site.  http://fx-td.com/ . Do a search for merge flip and ocean,theres
a good thread buried on the sidefx site.

Andreu Lucio also could be worth getting in contact with, ive seen some
seamless flip / ocean integration where he takes low level flip data and
pushes it into the ocean.

Sorry I cannot be of more help buddy !

Rob

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Nick Nimble <nick at nicknimble.com> wrote:

> Hi Francois,
>
> I render the FLIP surface and the procedural ocean separately and blend
> between them in comp. I've found that you need to isolate the top surface
> of the FLIP mesh and blend it around the edges towards the procedural ocean
> to create an invisible seamless blend. I don't know how experienced you are
> in Houdini, but if this blows your mind I happen to currently teach a
> Houdini course called hou211-Ocean FX at www.fxphd.com, which tackles
> exactly this situation.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick, be Nimble
> -- 2014 the year where things become clearer --
> +31 622 4243 94 | www.nicknimble.com | www.facebook.com/nicknimble
>
> On 02/06/14 04:02, François Duchesneau wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've started to work on a project involving a boat in the middle of an
>> ocean. I've seen the shelf tool allows you to have the flip simulation
>> match the procedural ocean surface but the renders of each one look
>> different. I can adjust the color probably but what I'm missing is the foam
>> generated by the ocean surface setup, this is not part of the flip
>> simulation.
>>
>> Any suggestion on how to blend these two together? I thought about adding
>> an alpha attribute on the flip water. Everything that is above the ocean
>> surface would be one and 0 below with some blending to make that smooth but
>> I wonder if there are better solutions.
>>
>> Also if anyone has recommendations on the scale of the scene for the flip
>> fluid that'd be nice. In other words, should I keep  the boat not too big
>> or not too small or it doesn't matter at all?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Francois

Robert East
Sydney Australia