[Sidefx-houdini-list] Ocean surface with flip sim

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Sun Jun 1 22:02:50 EDT 2014

Hello,

I've started to work on a project involving a boat in the middle of an
ocean. I've seen the shelf tool allows you to have the flip simulation
match the procedural ocean surface but the renders of each one look
different. I can adjust the color probably but what I'm missing is the
foam generated by the ocean surface setup, this is not part of the flip
simulation.

Any suggestion on how to blend these two together? I thought about
adding an alpha attribute on the flip water. Everything that is above
the ocean surface would be one and 0 below with some blending to make
that smooth but I wonder if there are better solutions.

Also if anyone has recommendations on the scale of the scene for the
flip fluid that'd be nice. In other words, should I keep  the boat not
too big or not too small or it doesn't matter at all?

Thanks

Francois