[Sidefx-houdini-list] vex shading

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Tue Feb 18 08:00:30 EST 2014

Hi Herman,

I never had to learn vex because I already knew Renderman Shading
language (rsl). You have more chance to find learning material in RSL.
Only a few function names or parameter order are different but at this
point is just a matter of looking at the vex functions help page and
figure out how to call your vex function instead of the rsl. This is a
good start.

http://www.fundza.com/rman_shaders/surface/

However if you just want to make things happen, you don't have to learn
vex. Instead just use Vop. Once in a while you'll want to use an Inline
Sop (a node that allows you to introduce a piece of code inside your
node based network of functions). You can actually learn from the code
generated by vex if you right click on a Vop Sop for example and click
on View Vex Code.

Good luck.

François