[Sidefx-houdini-list] deep primid aov?

Matt Estela matt.estela at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 22:48:28 EDT 2014

Aha, Matt Ebb solved this with some crazy technique called 'reading the
docs'.

We were unpremultiplying the samples by rgba.a, which is silly, that's
gonna be the alpha _after_ the samples have been collected into a flattened
pixel. I kept seeing these other channels floating about, turns out they're
the opacity per-sample. So, in a deep expression node you divide your value
by the per-sample alpha (also convert to raw int to get around precision
issues)

rint(primid.r / other.RA)
rint(primid.g/ other.GA)
rint(primid.b / other.BA)

Then do whatever expression you want, eg, isolate the primid based on the
frame like in eetu's example:

primid.r == [frame] ?  other.RA  : 0
primid.g == [frame] ?  other.GA  : 0
primid.b == [frame] ?  other.BA  : 0

Then you can flatten it with deeptoimage, and use it as a matte to drive 2d
colour corrections (we had to insert a few unpremult/premults to get the
edges perfectly clean)

Will update the odforce thread with hip files and nuke scripts and images
soon. Pretty cool being able to colour correct a motion blurred element
tangled in amongst other stuff!

-matt