[Sidefx-houdini-list] Linux Distro?

Nikola Wuttke heiligeslama at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 06:53:07 EDT 2014

Hey there,

I'm running Houdini on Arch Linux for about two years now. Can't remember
any problems. Had to write a small script to integrate the license server into
the systemd start process but that were 5 lines or so.

Arch Linux is rolling release, which means it does not have a release cycle
for versions. If new stuff comes out, it's tested and integrated into the
current system. So no system upgrading to get new stuff. That can be good and
bad at the same time. In my experience it is pretty stable, but you have to
know what your doing and read update logs.
Also the system does not come with much user land applications or an desktop
environment, which means you can tailor the system pretty much to your needs.
Arch Linux has a very good documentation and wiki and a solid community if you
run into trouble.

In conclusion Houdini runs great on it. The system requires the user
experience and there is always the chance that rolling release can break stuff.
It's a great distro if you want to get deeper understanding of how linux works
and always want the newest software to play with.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
Niko