[Sidefx-houdini-list] deep primid aov?

Rangi Sutton rsutton at cuttingedge.com.au
Wed Aug 13 23:26:40 EDT 2014

Hey Matt,

I don't think it can be tackled like you're describing.

If you say the value identifying the object is  "5", how does the deep map
say it's 40% of 5 if it's not saying it's "2"? It needs two bits of info,
the fact it's "5", and the fact it's "40%".

You'll need a separate channel for each component you want to be able to
separate, so you're back to multiple AOVs.

Or you embrace that you're working in deep land and render a separate pass
for every object and deep merge the lot.

ID passes where values rather than channels are used to seperate the
objects is a hack that falls over wherever any sorts of transparancy,
including anti-aliasinng or motion bur, comes in to play. Making it deep
just amplifies the problem.

Cheers,
r.

Rangi Sutton