[Sidefx-houdini-list] (no subject)

Craig Hoffman craigleehoffman at aol.com
Wed Apr 9 14:20:11 EDT 2014

Hi All,

Did Side Effects ever add support for "Tangent Space" Normal Maps in the supplied shaders that works with standard art packages?  (I see a Tangent Normals VOP but no Transform VOP that does Tangent to World space transform, etc.)  It seems like the only Normal Map support in the shaders I could find is for "Object Space" Normal Maps at this point and haven't found anything online or in the docs that suggests that industry standard "Tangent Space" Normal Maps have been added.  (I did find some VOP solutions people did on their own online for making ZBrush/etc Normal Maps work, but don't have the time right now to implement/test that out for this quick test I need to do today.)

I hope there is something I am missing because I am sure this is a popular request (I know I requested this feature 5 years ago), and with Houdini making inroads in game production it could be a deal breaker for many game artists.

Thanks,
Craig Hoffman
Technical Art Director
Microsoft Studios