[Sidefx-houdini-list] environment lights - ray tracing background

Agent Xray xray at agentxray.com
Sat Sep 21 23:57:24 EDT 2013

I was going to say "bundles" but then I tested it out and I couldn't get
per light per object reflections working with Ray Trace Background
either with bundles or by specifying the light directly.

It also seems like there's some kind of order as to which light gets
uses depending on which one was toggled last.

It almost seems like there's some limitation which only allows one light
to be used for ray tracing the background.

-=X

On 9/19/2013 7:25 AM, Larry Giunta wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to get a handle on managing environment lights with the "ray tracing background" option set for the render mode.
>
> I'm really tying to figure out a way to mask the lights on a per object basis.
>
> But removing the envlight from the object's light mask ... or reflection mask doesn't seem to have any effect.
> The only way I seem to be able to "turn off" an envlight for reflective objects is to exclude it from the candidate lights list in the ROP.
>
> However, that obviously turns off the light for the whole scene ..... so not what I want.
>
> Ultimately, I'd love to be able to have slight variations of the environment map reflected in different objects.
> So masking multiple envlights ( as you would other lights or reflective objects ) on a per object basis would work great.
>
> But I can't seem to figure out a way to accomplish that.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions on achieving that would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry
>
> --
> Larry Giunta