[Sidefx-houdini-list] environment lights - ray tracing background

Larry Giunta larry at gcreativestudios.com
Thu Sep 19 10:25:44 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I'm trying to get a handle on managing environment lights with the "ray tracing background" option set for the render mode.

I'm really tying to figure out a way to mask the lights on a per object basis.

But removing the envlight from the object's light mask ... or reflection mask doesn't seem to have any effect.
The only way I seem to be able to "turn off" an envlight for reflective objects is to exclude it from the candidate lights list in the ROP.

However, that obviously turns off the light for the whole scene ..... so not what I want.

Ultimately, I'd love to be able to have slight variations of the environment map reflected in different objects.
So masking multiple envlights ( as you would other lights or reflective objects ) on a per object basis would work great.

But I can't seem to figure out a way to accomplish that.

Any thoughts or suggestions on achieving that would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

--
Larry Giunta