[Sidefx-houdini-list] H13 Linear lighting/rendering

Craig Hoffman craigleehoffman at aol.com
Thu Nov 21 12:05:14 EST 2013

I read this in the H13 docs:

Linear color workflow

Houdini is now set up to work in a linear color space/gamma of 2.2 by default.

VEX texture functions that work on 8-bit images will now convert the images from sRGB colorspace to linear. You can override this with a variadic argument.

I am a little confused- isn't linear gamma '1.0'?...   Or is this saying that it is converting everything to 1.0 internally for calculations and then back to work properly with 2.2 screen gamma in GL Viewport and Render View?

So should I leave my Render View at 2.2?  It seemed to look better at 1.0 for my PBR renders...

Thanks,
Craig