[Sidefx-houdini-list] Enabling normals smoothing on FBX export

Craig Hoffman craigleehoffman at aol.com
Wed May 15 15:04:12 EDT 2013

I am assuming you are concerned that your models aren't showing up in the destination package the way they look in Houdini (the models are 'smooth' in Houdini, but look faceted once the FBX is imported elsewhere)- is that correct?  What is the intended destination for these FBX models?  Is it to have the model import into something like the Unreal Engine and look correct?

If it is the Unreal Engine (or maybe some other similar game engine) Houdini doesn't support "Smoothing Groups" like other software and Point normals don't come into Unreal properly so normals don't look correct.  But if you promote your 'Point' Normals to be 'Vertex' normals, the normals show up properly when imported into Unreal (despite the popup warning about no smoothing groups) and exactly how they look in Houdini.

My formula for getting objects into Unreal (which might work for other software too- I am not sure) is to make sure you have UV's as Vertex Attributes (objects without UV's sometimes show mangled normals in Unreal), and make sure your Normals are Vertex Attributes.

Hopefully this helps.
-Craig