[Sidefx-houdini-list] Cloth H12 in Production

Rafael Santos rafaels at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 12:26:49 EDT 2013


Hey, zhang xiao

Cloth doesn't collide with cloth because wires require SDF for collision
calculation. That wouldn't be much of a problem for non-manifold cloth
objects, but for sheets of cloth...
I did manage to get around without wires by turning a low-res version of my
ropes into cloth.

Cheers


On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM, <sidefx-houdini-list-request at sidefx.com>wrote:

> Send Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list submissions to
>         sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         https://lists.sidefx.com:443/mailman/listinfo/sidefx-houdini-list
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         sidefx-houdini-list-request at sidefx.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         sidefx-houdini-list-owner at sidefx.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Sidefx-houdini-list digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Cloth H12 in Production (Rafael Santos)
>    2. Re: Cloth H12 in Production (zhang xiao)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 12:28:12 -0500
> From: Rafael Santos <rafaels at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] Cloth H12 in Production
> To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CACXuy4qk0hxKEFKc35UaycTaP1aYJb46-ZaJA3XU27JSv0Ar0Q at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Hey, Brian
>
> I've used H12 Cloth heavily in one show, simulating sails and ropes for
> boats and it worked quite smoothly for the most part. One time I had a lot
> of problem with one shot but it turned out that my rest mesh and the sim
> mesh didn't match and it took a long time searching every possible solution
> until I figured that out... which was kinda dumb of me though.
> Besides that, my sim times were not long at all. I had my setup divided
> into 4 passes where 3 of them needed to happen in order: Main sail
> deformations (basically wind and boat motion); tassels attached to the
> sail; ropes attached to bottom of sail; and long rops from mast to boat.
> Each one of these steps had it's own DOP network and the sim times varied
> from 15 minutes to a couple of hours per step when all went fine.
>
> Now, even though Cloth is quite fast these days, I'd still prepare a
> low-res version of you cloth objects prior to simulation. You can then use
> the cloth capture/deform workflow in SOPs to transfer the deformation quite
> easily. In order to get nice plastic deformations you'll need balance the
> mesh resolution with the detail you want to get out of it, then jack up the
> material properties knowing that it tends to slow things down. Other than
> that you just have to control your plastic threshold and plastic flow rate.
>
> Lastly, cloth deformations don't preserve volume by default, but depending
> on your needs that might not be a problem.
>
> Cheers
>
>
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:50:06 +1300
> > From: Brian Goodwin <brian.r.goodwin at gmail.com>
> > Subject: [Sidefx-houdini-list] Cloth H12 in Production
> > To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> > Message-ID:
> >         <
> > CAPWfJPaZjUroVF-3ht8kG-U_rMUadmZ_ecw0xw8tdG3JxG29mw at mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > Hey all
> >
> > I'm trying to achieve very simple deformation where a character needs to
> > deform a digital set, around 10-20k poly mesh and I'd like to be
> > plasticity.
> >
> > All the example files point me in the direction of its usability but I
> was
> > wondering if anyone could provide some insight into where Houdini Cloth
> has
> > been used in production.
> >
> > I haven't used cloth since H10, and I was wondering are people using H12
> > Cloth for this sort of thing ?
> >
> > Perhaps any do's and dont's?
> >
> > Some sim length times etc?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> >
> > Brian Goodwin
> >
> > Lead FX TD
> > Weta Digital
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 22:23:28 -0700
> > From: Alvaro Castaneda <varomix at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] Cloth H12 in Production
> > To: "sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com" <sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com>
> > Message-ID:
> >         <CALMuYUjynSpQ=yAj+-psVDypHG+DrNPACq3=
> > VpZzO_HM8E5s8g at mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >
> > Hey Brian
> > if you haven't seen this you might want to take a look
> > is recent and has lots of stuff
> >
> > *Masterclass Cloth*
> >
> >
> http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2406&Itemid=166
> >
> > cheers
> >
> >
> >     .:varomix:.
> > MIX Studio
> > 3D Artist/Generalist TD
> > varomix at varomix.net <varomix at gmail.com>
> > Contact Me [image: Linkedin] <http://mx.linkedin.com/in/varomix>[image:
> > Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/varomix>[image:
> > Twitter]<http://www.twitter.com/varomix>
> >
> >
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Brian Goodwin <brian.r.goodwin at gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Hey all
> > >
> > > I'm trying to achieve very simple deformation where a character needs
> to
> > > deform a digital set, around 10-20k poly mesh and I'd like to be
> > > plasticity.
> > >
> > > All the example files point me in the direction of its usability but I
> > was
> > > wondering if anyone could provide some insight into where Houdini Cloth
> > has
> > > been used in production.
> > >
> > > I haven't used cloth since H10, and I was wondering are people using
> H12
> > > Cloth for this sort of thing ?
> > >
> > > Perhaps any do's and dont's?
> > >
> > > Some sim length times etc?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > >
> > > Brian Goodwin
> > >
> > > Lead FX TD
> > > Weta Digital
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 09:44:24 -0800
> From: zhang xiao <zhangxiao6776 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] Cloth H12 in Production
> To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CAHZ8ybuXQ35xkZksFtZ2O1joq7j4uiptMfr0XciZw6qBWWM-RA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> one thing i wish to be added to cloth object is collision with wire object,
> seems this two are not interacting to each other, maybe i was wrong?
>
>
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Rafael Santos <rafaels at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey, Brian
> >
> > I've used H12 Cloth heavily in one show, simulating sails and ropes for
> > boats and it worked quite smoothly for the most part. One time I had a
> lot
> > of problem with one shot but it turned out that my rest mesh and the sim
> > mesh didn't match and it took a long time searching every possible
> solution
> > until I figured that out... which was kinda dumb of me though.
> > Besides that, my sim times were not long at all. I had my setup divided
> > into 4 passes where 3 of them needed to happen in order: Main sail
> > deformations (basically wind and boat motion); tassels attached to the
> > sail; ropes attached to bottom of sail; and long rops from mast to boat.
> > Each one of these steps had it's own DOP network and the sim times varied
> > from 15 minutes to a couple of hours per step when all went fine.
> >
> > Now, even though Cloth is quite fast these days, I'd still prepare a
> > low-res version of you cloth objects prior to simulation. You can then
> use
> > the cloth capture/deform workflow in SOPs to transfer the deformation
> quite
> > easily. In order to get nice plastic deformations you'll need balance the
> > mesh resolution with the detail you want to get out of it, then jack up
> the
> > material properties knowing that it tends to slow things down. Other than
> > that you just have to control your plastic threshold and plastic flow
> rate.
> >
> > Lastly, cloth deformations don't preserve volume by default, but
> depending
> > on your needs that might not be a problem.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> >
> > > Message: 1
> > > Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:50:06 +1300
> > > From: Brian Goodwin <brian.r.goodwin at gmail.com>
> > > Subject: [Sidefx-houdini-list] Cloth H12 in Production
> > > To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> > > Message-ID:
> > >         <
> > > CAPWfJPaZjUroVF-3ht8kG-U_rMUadmZ_ecw0xw8tdG3JxG29mw at mail.gmail.com>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> > >
> > > Hey all
> > >
> > > I'm trying to achieve very simple deformation where a character needs
> to
> > > deform a digital set, around 10-20k poly mesh and I'd like to be
> > > plasticity.
> > >
> > > All the example files point me in the direction of its usability but I
> > was
> > > wondering if anyone could provide some insight into where Houdini Cloth
> > has
> > > been used in production.
> > >
> > > I haven't used cloth since H10, and I was wondering are people using
> H12
> > > Cloth for this sort of thing ?
> > >
> > > Perhaps any do's and dont's?
> > >
> > > Some sim length times etc?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > >
> > > Brian Goodwin
> > >
> > > Lead FX TD
> > > Weta Digital
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 2
> > > Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 22:23:28 -0700
> > > From: Alvaro Castaneda <varomix at gmail.com>
> > > Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] Cloth H12 in Production
> > > To: "sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com" <sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com>
> > > Message-ID:
> > >         <CALMuYUjynSpQ=yAj+-psVDypHG+DrNPACq3=
> > > VpZzO_HM8E5s8g at mail.gmail.com>
> > > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> > >
> > > Hey Brian
> > > if you haven't seen this you might want to take a look
> > > is recent and has lots of stuff
> > >
> > > *Masterclass Cloth*
> > >
> > >
> >
> http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2406&Itemid=166
> > >
> > > cheers
> > >
> > >
> > >     .:varomix:.
> > > MIX Studio
> > > 3D Artist/Generalist TD
> > > varomix at varomix.net <varomix at gmail.com>
> > > Contact Me [image: Linkedin] <http://mx.linkedin.com/in/varomix
> >[image:
> > > Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/varomix>[image:
> > > Twitter]<http://www.twitter.com/varomix>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Brian Goodwin <
> brian.r.goodwin at gmail.com
> > > >wrote:
> > >
> > > > Hey all
> > > >
> > > > I'm trying to achieve very simple deformation where a character needs
> > to
> > > > deform a digital set, around 10-20k poly mesh and I'd like to be
> > > > plasticity.
> > > >
> > > > All the example files point me in the direction of its usability but
> I
> > > was
> > > > wondering if anyone could provide some insight into where Houdini
> Cloth
> > > has
> > > > been used in production.
> > > >
> > > > I haven't used cloth since H10, and I was wondering are people using
> > H12
> > > > Cloth for this sort of thing ?
> > > >
> > > > Perhaps any do's and dont's?
> > > >
> > > > Some sim length times etc?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks in advance.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Brian Goodwin
> > > >
> > > > Lead FX TD
> > > > Weta Digital
> > >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list
> > Sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> > https://lists.sidefx.com:443/mailman/listinfo/sidefx-houdini-list
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list
> Sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> https://lists.sidefx.com:443/mailman/listinfo/sidefx-houdini-list
>
>
> End of Sidefx-houdini-list Digest, Vol 383, Issue 3
> ***************************************************
>



More information about the Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list