[Sidefx-houdini-list] Cloth H12 in Production

Rafael Santos rafaels at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 12:28:12 EST 2013

Hey, Brian

I've used H12 Cloth heavily in one show, simulating sails and ropes for
boats and it worked quite smoothly for the most part. One time I had a lot
of problem with one shot but it turned out that my rest mesh and the sim
mesh didn't match and it took a long time searching every possible solution
until I figured that out... which was kinda dumb of me though.
Besides that, my sim times were not long at all. I had my setup divided
into 4 passes where 3 of them needed to happen in order: Main sail
deformations (basically wind and boat motion); tassels attached to the
sail; ropes attached to bottom of sail; and long rops from mast to boat.
Each one of these steps had it's own DOP network and the sim times varied
from 15 minutes to a couple of hours per step when all went fine.

Now, even though Cloth is quite fast these days, I'd still prepare a
low-res version of you cloth objects prior to simulation. You can then use
the cloth capture/deform workflow in SOPs to transfer the deformation quite
easily. In order to get nice plastic deformations you'll need balance the
mesh resolution with the detail you want to get out of it, then jack up the
material properties knowing that it tends to slow things down. Other than
that you just have to control your plastic threshold and plastic flow rate.

Lastly, cloth deformations don't preserve volume by default, but depending
on your needs that might not be a problem.

Cheers