[Sidefx-houdini-list] System question

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 14:36:07 EST 2013

Hey,

More of everything is better :)

However, if cost is a factor (which it always is) then:

The GPU isn't super critical except if you regularly push around
millions of points/polys in the viewport. Any 600 series Nvidia card
will likely be fine, pick the one you can afford. If it has more RAM
on it that's good too but more system RAM is more important.

Faster CPU always good, more cores always good for Mantra and most of DOPs.

I've found a fast SSD drive that you can point HOUDINI_TEMP_DIR makes
a noticeable difference when running DOPs sims interactively as
they'll get cached to disk.

Cheers,

Peter B