[Sidefx-houdini-list] 3d Printing and Houdini

Lisa Reynolds lisa at red3d.com
Mon Jan 14 16:31:55 EST 2013

I used Shapeways for a 3D printing project with Houdini exporting a .obj file. To cut costs, try to make walls thin or hollow out your model. You have to allow a hole large enough for the clean-out of material in a hollow model. They have information on their site regarding tolerances and requirements for each of the materials they offer. You will be given a price to print when you upload the model, and you can then make changes and upload a new one if the price is too high. Scale accurately from the outset and you'll save yourself some headaches. My only complaint with them was that they missed their promised ship date, so I wouldn't use them for anything time critical.

Cheers,
-Lisa