[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini Apprentice to UDK

Craig Hoffman craigleehoffman at aol.com
Thu Jan 10 16:50:25 EST 2013

One thing I would like to point out is that Houdini is great for creating textures and animated textures that get placed on real-time particle sprites/ribbons for FX animation in games- or for creating geometry that you instance to particles in a game engine (and utilize the game engine physics for interaction).  I have done this sort of thing a lot.

So a lot of times if you see "Houdini used for Fire" or "Smoke" or something in a game it is an animated texture applied to a flat sprite or ribbon.  The "volumetric" fire/smoke/etc. is usually a pre-rendered sequence of targas from a 3d package that is turned into a texture atlas (I often use the Mosaic COP to create this texture atlas/strip- it is the best tool I have found for this that enables me to easily tweak scale and do image processing, etc. along with create the strip) and revealed sort of like a movie by playing back the frames (usually looped).

I would love to see a solution for getting baked particle and DOPs sims into game engines, but everywhere I have worked it is very low on the list for putting valuable developer resources toward.

I would think Houdini Escape would be a decent solution for most Indie Developers (unless they want to do rendered smoke/fire like I mention above with it- but a lot of times Indie developers use existing FX assets that work fine for their uses).  It isn't that expensive and can do the bulk of the procedural modeling, rendering, and compositing type things we are talking about here that would help a small studio be a lot more productive (if exporting/importing was improved).  For the most part DOPs and Fluid stuff and particle stuff isn't exported from 3d packages into game engines since the dynamics stuff has to be done using highly optimized real-time systems (unless baking out motion is fine) and most applications of fluids are just too expensive to even think about for real time.

By the way, here is a game application of Houdini that was done with Houdini Ocean Toolkit a long time ago:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/mq2h7j/lord-of-the-rings--battle-for-middle-earth-ii-water-tech-demo

We reused this technique (developed at the old EA BlackBox in Vancouver) on the "Superman Returns" and "Tiger Woods" games back when I was at EA but this was the first use of it in a game.  I was trying to duplicate it here on a project, but found out that the HOT doesn't loop and they hacked it back at EA to do this- which I didn't have time to do.  (So modifying the HOT to allow for looping would be a big win for its use in game studios!  :)  )

Cheers,
Craig