[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini Apprentice to UDK

Robert Magee rmagee at sidefx.com
Thu Jan 10 14:20:16 EST 2013

This is a great thread that coincides with discussions we are having about meeting the needs of indie gamers interested in Houdini. The Torque exporter taught us that an exporter on its own isn't enough unless we know more about how data needs to be created in Houdini to export properly. There seems to be similar issues with FBX.

The gaming community is pulling on us more and more especially in bigger studios as seen in some of the recent games focused stories we have put out recently:

Naughty Dog | Uncharted 3 | http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2208&Itemid=68
Electronic Arts | SSX | http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2211&Itemid=68
Kim Goossens | http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2139&Itemid=68
Guerrilla Games | Killzone 3 | http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1952&Itemid=68

We also recently featured a demo video and solutions page on procedural game art development (http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2252&Itemid=354) and (http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1590&Itemid=337). We also featured Chris Roda from EA in our booth at SIGGRAPH Asia in Singapore.

One of the next steps we need to take is to look into a good solution for indie gamers either through the Apprentice program or some other means. Your feedback is appreciated and helpful as we look to support the growing list of gamer artists in the Houdini community.

Robert

PS - one of our recent interns created some in-game VFX for Unreal using Houdini. You can see them and read about it here. His methods were a bit brute force but he got some impressive results. He also uses FumeFX but felt that Houdini's Pyro FX tools got him what he needed more easily (at least that is what he told us...):

http://mattsch.blogspot.ca/2012/10/blog-post.html

On 2013-01-10, at 8:50 AM, JUSTIN REEVES <jreeves16 at msn.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys this was the help i needed, i debated between the Unity and UDK but the tools are limited in the free version of Unity, and arent in UDK, and the lighting seemed better(lighting junkie) but I heard Unity was easier to use, scripting was easier to learn, and there was just more learning materials out there. I wish I could use Houdini just for the fact that i used it for 4 years, and a 3D package is a lot of learning, so i didnt want to learn another one, especially a inferior one. With all this in mind Ill probably try Blender and Unity.
> You guys have been a huge help, and as for SideFX hope you get the game stuff squared away, seems it has been many years since H mentioned gaming with Houdini, but seems its not there still.
>

> Justin Reeves

Robert Magee
Product Marketing Manager
Side Effects Software