[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini Apprentice to UDK

Ken Ouellette ken.ouellette at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 23:01:14 EST 2013

Having somewhat recently moved into games... I transitioned from a Feature
Animation/VFX "upbringing" to the games environment last April and now get
to work with Craig....

I was hopeful about usign the Apprentice to help learn Unreal via using it
and the UDK, but without FBX support that was quickly stopped. If the
intent is to author any animation from a DCC (maya, houdini, etc) and get
it into the UDK you need to use  skeleton and rig it and that means FBX
export. Like Craig I've been able to get an FBX from Houdini into Unreal,
but it was a bit more work. You can fiddle with the import options and do
some work to avoid the smoothing group options but  I haven't tried it for
deforming mesh. Static should be okay if you can sort out the import issues.

Unity is a bit more forgiving and has options to allow for bone scaling.
UDK/Unreal doesn't like that at all, you can do a uniform scale in its
AnimTree editor, but it only expects rotations by default. Even to get
translations in and working you have to dive down and flip a toggle. I
haven't tried to go from Houdini to Unity but it should be possible.. I'll
give that a go when I get a chance.

Unity will see the .obj and you can use it without pain. IT doesn't have
native support for blendshapes (morphs). You can write your own script to
do that or find a solution in the UnityStore or forums. Its animation
editor is great comparatively to UDK's Matinee, but it is still quirky and
your animations may actually be easier to execute in a DCC that can export
a FBX. Unity will allow you to scale joints in the DCC and it will respect
that change IF you put the imported animation to use its "legacy" mode.

I would recommend Unity and a DCC capable of spitting out reliable FBX at
the moment for animations and mesh.. it will be easier. For particles, you
as Craig says, you have to do that in-engine for that kind of work.

FWIW - if you look at Unity at a highlevel there are a lot of similarities
to Houdini....

Ken Ouellette
Technical Art Director
TUFF Studio