[Sidefx-houdini-list] render different volumes with takes or nodes ?

Jordan Halsey jordanhalsey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 14:31:38 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Szymon Kapeniak
<szymon.kapeniak at gmail.com>wrote:

> > I am curious as to what is the benefit to the multiple mantra nodes
> > here...
>

> Because, quite along Houdini's paradigm, by doing this you're creating a
> chain (collection in this case) of your decisions as an nodes, that can be
> seen, supervised/debugged or copy/pasted by others, including non-humans,
> i.e. scripts.

Szymon,

Please understand I am not doubting you, just wishing to understand if
there is a better way...

If I have a scene with 10 takes where all the settings are basically the
same with the exception of the file path and of course whatever exists in
that unique take(individual items - masks, etc) it would be better to have
ten render nodes nine of which are referenced copies that are tied to a
unique take? Is there something that I am not able to script when I use
takes and one render node? I admit I rarely do any scripting to my render
nodes. In my mind the Houdini paradigm is use the fewest nodes possible to
accomplish the task but maybe in this case I am limiting myself somewhere...

**
*Jordan Halsey**
*
maya | houdini | nuke | ae