[Sidefx-houdini-list] render different volumes with takes or nodes ?

Robert Magee rmagee at sidefx.com
Wed Jan 9 11:37:32 EST 2013

If you are using takes, another option is to use the Wedge Output node. You can set Wedge Method to "By Take" then make sure that in the Take List, all the takes you want to render out are children of another take, Specifiy that take as the parent take and all the other ones will be rendered out using the take name as part of the name of the output image.

Robert

On 2013-01-09, at 11:15 AM, Nick Nimble <nick at nicknimble.com> wrote:

> I prefer to use multiple nodes because I personally find it easier to see whats going on. I know this is a paradox, but...
>
> I'll consider including the mantra node in the takes ;-)
>
> On 01/09/2013 05:13 PM, Jordan Halsey wrote:
>> I am curious as to what is the benefit to the multiple mantra nodes
>> here...I have a scene with nine takes and one Mantra node. The one Mantra
>> node has all my render settings. When I change takes all I do change the
>> render paths and file names. I submit my render and get back my nine takes
>> just fine with one node. In each take the Mantra node acts like a reference
>> copy until I change a parameter which also allows me to adjust some
>> settings on a per take basis in one node.
>>
>> If it is better to use multiple referenced Mantra nodes I would like to
>> know why.

>>> No, I really did mean to use different Mantra nodes. The drawback as
>>> mentioned is that you probably want the other parameter settings to be the
>>> same, which doing a reference copy helps. Then you remove the reference on
>>> the "Render With Take" parameter and have them render using the different
>>> takes.
>>>
>>> The advantage of doing this is you just need to render 1 particular ROP
>>> node and everything will take care of itself.
>>>
>>> -Edward

Robert Magee
Product Marketing Manager
Side Effects Software