[Sidefx-houdini-list] Mantra with deep EXR for holdout (from other renderers)

Halfdan Ingvarsson halfdan at sidefx.com
Tue Dec 3 14:41:07 EST 2013

Hello Kiyoshi-san

mantra (and Houdini, by extension) writes out deep OpenEXR images using
the standard OpenEXR naming convention for the opacity and depth
channels (i.e. RA/GA/BA and Z, respectively).

The one difference is that we don't write out a ZBack, but then again,
we don't interpret it either. This is on our TODO list, since it makes
hard to distinguish between volumes and hard surfaces.

However, it's difficult for me to know whether VRay and 3Delight are
writing out images we can't read, or we're not reading the images
properly. In my tests, I generated a deep EXR holdout images in Nuke,
which worked well.

Do you mind logging a bug with support, including a sample scene and the
relevant images generated by the two renderers? I'll have a look as soon
as I can.

All the best,

  - ½