[Sidefx-houdini-list] instance vopsop trouble

Nikita Musatov not.a.whale at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 04:59:16 EDT 2013

Point Instancing
Off

No point instancing. Instead, the instanced object simply replaces the
instancing object.

Full point instancing

Lets you modify any object-level rendering property (material
assignment, shading, sampling, dicing, etc.) across point instances
via an expression, using theinstancepoint() function to get the
current point index. It also supports the same point attributes as
fast point instancing. The variation is done at export time, and
usually leads to much larger IFDs/RIBs and slower export.

Fast point instancing

Renderable properties can only be varied across different point
instances through a limited set of point attributes:instance,
material_override, andshop_materialpath. The last two can be easily
set by using the Material SOP. Additionally, the object-level
variations are ignored. For example, the instancepoint()function will
return zero. The variation is done at render time and has very little
impact on the IFD size or export time.